Saturday, December 10, 2011

Los Angeles Angels Say Hello To Pujols, Wilson

 
 
 
Thanks to two monster signings that were announced in front of Angel Stadium on a gorgeous Saturday morning, though, Anaheim's baseball team now matters more than ever.
Two days after first baseman Albert Pujols and starting pitcher C.J. Wilson agreed to deals that combined for $331.5 million, the two were unveiled in front of roughly 4,200 eager fans at an open-to-the-public press conference. There, Pujols donned a white No. 5 Angels jersey, Wilson was decorated with a red No. 33, and the two made one thing unmistakably clear: Baseball will never be the same in this city again.

For me," said Angels owner Arte Moreno, "it's like a dream come true."


That dream was realized when Pujols -- attending an event that included Moreno, general manager Jerry Dipoto, manager Mike Scioscia and new Angels teammates Torii Hunter, Jered Weaver and Dan Haren -- agreed to a 10-year, $254 million contract on Thursday.
With that, Moreno had scored a marquee name after missing out on the likes of Mark Teixeira, CC Sabathia, Carl Crawford and Adrian Beltre.
And with that, a team that has missed the playoffs in back-to-back seasons is an instant title contender and a national brand.
"I've been here less than 24 hours, and from going around the city and just meeting people, just welcoming me to the city of L.A., I'm really excited," the 31-year-old Pujols said. "I'm really excited about our ballclub and the organization."
The Cardinals and Marlins were the two teams that seemed to be going at it for Pujols' services during the Winter Meetings. Then, at about 7 or 8 p.m. CT on Tuesday night, Dipoto reached out to Pujols' agent, Dan Lozano, and asked if he had time to chat the next day.
"Sure," Lozano said. "About what?"
"About No. 5," Dipoto responded.
"I got a big smile on my face," Lozano recalled, "and I said, 'Absolutely.'"
The two met on Wednesday morning.
Then Moreno stepped in and changed the game.
The Angels' owner spoke on the phone with Pujols and his wife, Deidre, a couple of times on Wednesday and instantly made an impact. Pujols had never met Moreno, but he said it took him about five minutes to realize what kind of person he was.
By 7:30 the next morning -- after a lot of thinking, a lot of prayers and, admittedly, a lot of emotion -- Pujols decided he was the kind of owner he wanted to finish his career playing under.
"I think he was just able to touch a part in Albert's heart that not a lot of other people were able to get to," Lozano said.
"What he made me feel in those phone calls I had with him was how bad he wanted me," said Pujols, who hit .299 with 37 homers and 99 RBIs in what was considered a down year last season. "I'm like, 'How about this guy? I don't even know him.' And when I made that decision, he told me that I was his partner, and that means a lot. I'm going to spend my 10 years here and try to bring what I have learned in the city of St. Louis for 11 years."
Pujols arrived at his new home at about 10 a.m. PT on Friday, spent most of the day undergoing his physical, then went to dinner with Moreno, Dipoto and Angels president John Carpino later that night.
It was time to say hello to Southern California, and goodbye to St. Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment